Hot Cocoa Ice Cream. Seriously people, we went there. My mom came across a True Vanilla Ice Cream recipe she loves from Bon Apetit, and we wanted to combine some delicious other flavors to really make the recipe shine and become our own. So what did we do? We added Hot Cocoa!!
Not just any hot cocoa would do for us though, we had to add Starbucks hot cocoa! Anyone who follows me on Instagram knows I have a serious Starbucks
A couple quick notes- you really have to let the ice cream cool before putting it in an ice cream maker for the best result. Also, be sure to store your ice cream in a container IN a plastic baggie in the fridge! It makes it easier to scoop, and collects less ice.
For a truly decadent dessert, you could even add some nuts and mallows for a new spin on Rocky Road!
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise, or 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 2 packages Starbucks Hot Cocoa Mix (the single serve size)
- Combine cream, milk, sugar, and salt in a medium saucepan.
- Add seeds from vanilla bean- or add vanilla extract.
- Bring mixture to a simmer, stir to dissolve sugar and then take off of the heat.
- Whisk egg yolks and sugar in a medium bowl until pale- for around 2 minutes.
- Slowly whisk the cream mixture in, as well as hot cocoa mix.
- Cook mixture over medium heat, stirring until it becomes thick enough to coat a wooden spoon, or about 2–3 minutes.
- Strain into a medium bowl set over a bowl of ice water; let cool, stirring occasionally.
- Process custard in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Transfer to an airtight container; cover. Freeze until firm, at least 4 hours and up to 1 week.
- For stay-soft ice cream, keep the container in a Ziploc bag! It really does help the ice cream scoop easier!
Latest posts by Courtney ODell (see all)
- Make Your Own MiniFigures! - December 12, 2013
- Christmas Caroling Party with Bing Smart Search - December 12, 2013
- Make Your Christmas Tree Taller & Fit Better in Your Room! - December 11, 2013
- 20 Creative Gift Wrapping Ideas - December 11, 2013